Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas Magic

English: Santa Claus with a little girl Espera...
Christmas is just around the corner, and we adults are hustling and bustling, to buy the perfect gift for everyone on our list. By now we'd received all kinds of hints and a few suggestions (lists, to make our shopping experience easier). 

Christmas is for the little ones, but my children are adults now with families of their own, and on Christmas morning, my husband and I will wake up in an empty old house. I'm sure Christmas morning will be lovely, but the sound and excitement of little ones are but an echo. As a result, the season has lost a little of its magic.

Months of commercialization sap the life out of the Christmas spirit and crowds of shoppers which grow every year, are overwhelming. By the time, my family arrives on Christmas Eve, I'm worn out from shopping, wrapping presents, decorating and baking. I'm just ready for the New Year to begin.

But, in an instant a precious grandchild can bring the magic back, and remind us all of the true spirit of Christmas. 

It isn't about the most expensive or trendy gift but a gift from the heart. My seven-year-old granddaughter's school sponsored a Santa Shoppe for students where each child would have the opportunity to purchase Christmas presents for their parents, and friendsthe prices ranged from $1-$5.  

Included on my granddaughter's Christmas list was her daddy, a construction worker. She spotted the perfect gift the minute  she walked  into Santa's Shoppe.

Her daddy often received calls after hours, and on more than one occasion, she watched him  go out to his van at night. Unable to see well enough to unlock the door to his van, he always came back, grumbling  in search of a flashlight.  

What did my seven year-old granddaughter buy her daddy for Christmas?

A keychain flashlight. 

Her thoughtfulness brought him to tears.  How do I know? She couldn't wait to give it to him. 

Often it's the small things that make the biggest differences in our lives.

This is the spirit of Christmas. The magic is back.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment